Friday, January 18, 2013

Glucose Tolerance Test :(

Yesterday I went for my glucose tolerance test. I am 24 weeks pregnant so it was the perfect time to get it done. I made an appointment for 8:15 AM since I wasn't allowed to eat very much before hand. (I was only allowed a piece of toast, which I put butter on, and water.) I got to the lab at 7:45 hoping that I would be called back a little sooner to begin the dreaded hour long wait. Well at 8 AM they gave me the little bottle of glucose to drink. It was orange flavored and right out of the fridge, so I wasn't too worried about the taste. After taking my first sip I wrinkled my nose and thought twice about chugging the whole thing. It tasted like flat orange soda, but it was thick like syrup. The taste wasn't that bad, but it was REALLY sweet! I was kind of worried that it was going to make my sick being that sweet but my body tolerated it well enough.

After about 5 minutes of drinking the whole thing, my baby girl was bouncing and kicking and moving all around inside. I have never felt her move so much! Long story short, after waiting in the waiting room for a hour I went back and got my blood drawn. That was it. I was done with the one hour test. 

So today I received a call from my doctor's office. They said that I failed my glucose test. A healthy level is under 140, and mine was 146. So I literally was borderline pass/fail. But this means that I now get to take the 3 HOUR test! I am going next week for that one. This time I am not allowed to eat anything before my test, and after drinking the glucose, I have to wait three hours before I am done. 3 hours of sitting in a waiting room getting blood drawn every hour. The test is to make sure that I don't have gestational diabetes. Granted I am not dreading the actual test, I am just dreading the waiting around and sitting. My best friend is going to sit with me and keep me company, but I think it is still going to be extremely boring! 

On a lighter note, my husband and I finally got to go out to dinner and enjoy each others company. We were going to catch a movie as well, but the movie theaters around here don't have late showings of the Hobbit. So we settled for Red Lobster and a early night back home. Although it is 9:00 PM now, and I am already ready for bed. The pregnancy thing is wonderful except for being tired so early in the night. But I think I will take advantage of being able to get a full 8 hours of sleep now, cause in 4 months things will be pretty different. 

Well I think it is off to slumber for me we have a long day ahead tomorrow! 


No comments:

Post a Comment